Greek English
 
Home Page / What to know / History
Print this page
History
Archimandrita, a village of the Pafos District, is built in a green landscape and is crossed by the side-rivers “Chapotami” and “Diarizos”. The community is approximately 14 kilometres away from Kouklia, also a village of the Pafos District, and 6 kilometres from Dora, a village of the Lemesos District.  

Historical Background
Archimandrita, according to the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, is one of the villages which are included in the “Lusignan-Venetian list of the royal estates of Mas Latrie”.  

One of the most important historical events of Archimandrita is the move of the residents of Kato (Lower) Archimandrita to Pano (Upper) Archimandrita. In particular, up until 1962, Archimandrita was divided into the Upper and Lower village. However, the residents of Kato Archimandrita asked to move at the location where the village is presently located, which at the time was known as Pano (Upper) Archimandrita. The reasons that led the residents of Kato Archimandrita to move, as these are summarised in the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, concerned the “isolation” of the village, the absence of a school and “a suitable road” linking Pano with Kato Archimandrita, as well as water supply problems. Nowadays, the only remains of Kato Archimandrita are some deserted houses and a renovated chapel dedicated to Virgin Mary. 

Naming  
Two versions are known regarding the origin of the village’s naming. The first one, which has been given by Simos Menadros, links the name of the village with the first resident who was an Archimandrite. Menadros adds that according to the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, the people visiting the Archimandrite while he was still alive would simply say that they were visiting the Archimandrite. However, after his death, they used to say that they were visiting “Archimandrita”.      

According to tradition, the second version claims that the village owes its naming to the 318 Holy Fathers and Archimandrites who came to the village from Syria following an Archimandrite. According to the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, they were killed by idolaters.   

Population

Year Population of Pano Archimandrita Population of Kato Archimandrita Population of Archimandrita
1881 91 - -
1901 135 85 -
1911 - 70 -
1931 208 - -
1946 - 58 -
1960 317 41 -
1973 - - 233
1982 - - 153
2001 - - 42

The population of Archimandrita has in the past years decreased despite the unification of Pano and Kato Archimandrita. What is worth examining is the populating course of the two villages before and after the residents of Kato Archimandrita moved to Pano Archimandrita. The biggest population of Pano Archimandrita was recorded in 1960 with 317 residents, with 245 of them being Greek Cypriots and 72 Turkish Cypriots. On the other hand, the biggest population of Kato Archimandrita was recorded in 1901 with 85 residents. The table above presents the censuses of the two villages, as well as the one conducted after Kato Archimandrita was abandoned. 
                       
Churches
At the village there is a church dedicated to Agios Theodosios, as well as two chapels, one dedicated to Agious Pateres and one to Panagia (Virgin Mary).  More: Churches

Sources:
Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, vol.2
Wikipedia , Archimandrita, Pafos

 
 
November 2018
MTWTFSS
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930 
 
 
 
CONTACT US
 
COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF ARCHIMANDRITA
8603, Archimandrita
Tel: 26432525
Fax: 26432545
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc